Home Policy Overview Temporary Visas

When you are in New Zealand, you must ensure that you have a lawful immigration status at all times. There are a number of temporary visa options you can choose to apply under, depending on whether you meet the purposes of the particular visa category. Broadly, there are work, student and visitor visa categories.

Work Visa (Essential Skills)

Work visas branch out to a number of sub-categories. Essential Skills policy is one of such sub-categories, which is probably the most frequently used to obtain a work visa. To apply under this category, you will need to have an offer of full time job and have relevant work experience or qualification.


Work Visa (Partnership)

Applying for a work visa based on relationship is dependent on whether your relationship with your sponsoring partner is genuine and stable, and whether your sponsor is an "acceptable sponsor". 


Work Visa (Post Study)

When you have completed certain types of courses in New Zealand and have gained recognised qualifications, you will be able to apply for a work visa under this category. There are two types of work visas which you could apply for under this category, which are "post-study work visa (open)" and "post-study work visa (employer assisted)".


Work Visa (Entrepreneur)

If you are wanting to run a business in New Zealand, you will need to have a work visa under this category. Formerly called Long Term Business Visa, this category has recently been revamped with tougher requirements.


Work Visa (Religious)

When applying for a work visa as a religious worker under this category, you will need to be sponsored by an organisation which is registered with the Charities Commission, and have relevant work experience or qualification. 


Student Visa

If you are wanting to undertake a course of study, you will need to have a student visa. You will need to show to Immigration New Zealand that you have been offered a place by the education provider and that you have paid the course fees. In certain circumstances, you may not need a student visa to study.


Visitor Visa

For visitor visas, you will need to show Immigration New Zealand that your purpose of visit is lawful, can support yourself financially during your stay, and that you have made arrangements for outward travel. Some countries are classified as 'visa-waiver countries' by Immigration New Zealand which means you may not need a visitor visa to come to New Zealand.


Last modified: 07 Feb 2015 14:53