Dependent Child Resident Visa

You may be able to apply for New Zealand residence visa if you are a dependent child.
Michael Yoon
Principal Immigration Lawyer
Icon for Guide article

If you want to learn about Dependent Child Resident Visa, you've come to the right place.

This guide has everything you need to understand the basics of Dependent Child Resident Visa. You'll also find links to useful resources from our blog and video throughout, so you can plan your next steps. If you still have questions, contact Immigration Lawyer NZ.

What is it?

If you are a dependent child of a New Zealand resident or citizen, then you may be able to apply for residence in NZ as a dependent child.

Let's take a look at what's involved.

How does it work?

If your parent(s) is a New Zealand citizen or a resident visa holder, and if you are not over the age of 24, then you may be able to apply for residence under this category. Generally, residence visa applications under family category are regarded as low-priority for Immigration New Zealand and therefore the processing time of your application might take up to one year.

Under Family (Dependent Child), you will need to satisfy each of the following requirements:

  • meet general requirements; and
  • meet age requirements; and
  • meet marital status requirements; and
  • meet financial dependency requirements; and
  • meet sponsor requirements.

What are the requirements?


General requirements include paying correct application fee, using prescribed Immigration New Zealand form, meeting health/character requirements, and being a 'bona fide' (genuine) applicant.


You must not be older than 24 years old at the time of application lodgement.

Relationship status

You must be single regardless of age.

If aged between 18 and 24, you must have no children of your own. There is no requirement as to having your own children if you are aged 17 or younger.

Financial dependency

This requirement only applies if you are aged between 21 to 24. In this case you must be totally or substantially reliant on an adult (whether your parent or not) for financial support, whether you live with them or not.

Eligible sponsor

Your sponsoring parent(s) must be lawfully permanently in New Zealand.

Icon for Enquiry block

Just Imagine.

What would you rather be doing? Go for a walk, listen to your favourite music, spend more time with your loved ones. Leave your stress and worry behind. Contact us today.
Icon for Enquiry block

We're Here to Help.

If you have doubts or questions — Let's work it out together. Contact us today.
author headshot Michael Yoon
Last modified on 9 September 2023 by
Michael Yoon
Principal Immigration Lawyer
Michael has been working as a lawyer in New Zealand since 2006. Over the years, he has successfully helped thousands of clients to get their desired outcome. Clients find Michael knowledgeable, approachable and professional — a trusted expert.
Icon for Sad Person Who Missed Out Because Immigration Rules Changed

Remember, New Zealand immigration laws and policies change constantly, without warning.

Take action now so you don't miss out. Contact Immigration Lawyer NZ to discuss your situation today.

Don't Miss Out!

Icon for Google
300+ Google Reviews
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram