If you have the money, and can afford to have it tied up for a number of years, then applying under the Investor Category is probably the easiest way to gain New Zealand residence.
There are two sub-categories, and you will need either NZ$10 million (about US$8 million) or NZ$2.5 million (about US$2 million), depending on which one you choose to apply under. The first one has less strings attached than the other.
- Pretty much hands free - no need to work, or run a business
- Relatively quicker processing time, conditional residence visa will usually issue within 3-6 months
- No restriction as to where you can reside
- If you have children their school fees will be the same as locals
- No capital gains tax or gift tax
- Might even end up getting a good return on investment
- Money tied up for 3-4 years
- Need to spend minimum time in New Zealand (although not such a bad thing!)
Sounds like you? Read about it in more detail from here.